Re: [pde-dev] Plug-in Dependency Visualization Tool

It's cool.
I'd like to see setting up an osgi application in visual mode - using your stuff Ian. Like you start with org.eclipse.osgi at first and then drag'n'drop your components (bundles core, ui, x, y, z) and voila :) Double click on a bundle opens it's manifest and lets you put your java code in. Double click on xyz.UI opens some visual gui editor where you put all things on their forms and so on.
Something like building your own project's dashboard.

would that be difficult to implement, Ian? :)

Ian Bull wrote:
As part of my time at the IBM Centre for Advanced Studies and my work on Google Summer of Code, I have developed a Plug-in Dependency Visualization tool as part of the PDE Incubator project. I was first recruited by Wassim and I have been working closely with Chris Aniszczyk (my SoC mentor). The project's website is at [1].

[1]http://www.eclipse.org/pde/incubator/dependency-visualization/

I have made an initial version available on an update site at eclipse.org [2] (Thanks Chris!). It works with Eclipse 3.3 or greater (I tested it on 3.4 M2 and it seems to work fine). I have also put together a New and Noteworthy to highlight some of the features [3].

[2]*http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/pde/incubator/visualization/site
*[3]http://www.eclipse.org/pde/incubator/dependency-visualization/new/index.php

It is pretty easy to use. Simply load the view (Visualizations->Graph Plug-in Dependencies), and right click on the canvas. Then select the bundle whose dependencies you wish you see.

If anyone has thoughts, suggestions, ideas, please feel free to open a bug report. There is already a good suggestion to show extension point use.
Cheers,
Ian

Back to the top