[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[p2-dev] Updates and p2 Install wizard
- From: Thomas Hallgren <thomas@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 11:50:19 +0200
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20100330 Fedora/3.0.4-1.fc12 Lightning/1.0b1 Thunderbird/3.0.4
Consider the following:
1. I have a feature xyz version 1.0.0 with a requirement to a bundle abc
2. I install xyz using the p2 install wizard. The resulting install now
contains xyz-1.0.0 and bundle abc-1.7.0.
3. The bundle abc-1.7.1 is published in a repository that is available
My xyz-1.0.0 can now use abc-1.7.1 without modification. Great! This is
one of the key motivators for using version ranges. Unfortunately, p2
seems to lack some support for this in the UI:
4. I go to the install wizard. There is no indication that an update is
available for xyz-1.0.0.
Although disappointing, I can live with it knowing to indicate that p2
must resolve all visible features in order to detected underlying
updates and that would take some time. But what's worse is what happens
5. I check my xyz-1.0.0 anyway and click Next. I get this error message:
Cannot complete the request. See the error log for details.
"Feature xyz" will be ignored because it is already installed.
I know it's installed. I want to update it anyway because I know that
newer content exists that it can make use of. Why am I not allowed to do
that here? Perhaps this is just done when checking if updates are
available? So I try that:
6. I click on "Check of updates..."
I dialog box pops up. "No updates found".
It seems like something is missing because now I'm forced to use the
command line director application to perform my update.