Re: [p2-dev] p2: Migration question for large scale Eclipse deployment

Achim,

For the functionality you are describing, Pulse's Private Label does provide this level of administration including integration into existing role-based definitions to dynamically deliver the right set of software for each user without requiring any download / install by users in your provisioned setup.  We have the technology used heavily in Citrix style environments where developers can connect in to a pre-configured Linux workstation specifically configured for the individual connecting to the host.  While I don't doubt that we could work with you for Pulse to provide a very nice streamlined solution, I recognize you have an existing configuration that you are trying to get back up and going...

So, regarding your original question, if you look at the configuration of the Eclipse 3.5 IDE installation you download from eclipse.org, you will see various p2 files including a bundles.info definition.  The bundles.info file provides equivalent functionality (at a plug-in level) to what was done in the platform.xml file previously.  It is possible to use the bundles.info file to tell the 3.5 runtime what set of bundles are required for the OSGi environment to start up correctly.  If you were to have the bundles you need on the NFS partition you refer to, you would then configure the appropriate p2/bundles.info files to have the right setup.  There are some APIs you could use including the p2 director to help automate this though I'll admit that the flexibility of p2 and the power the platform provides can be a bit overwhelming when first sitting down to use it.

Cheers,
Tim

Pulse Private Label
http://www.poweredbypulse.com