[p2-dev] p2: Migration question for large scale Eclipse deployment

Hi guys,
first of all: I hope this is the right place to ask this question, if not, please give me a hint where to go and bear with me.

In our company, we are currently running an Eclipse 3.4 installation for several hundred software developers on Unix workstations. The installation is shared from a network location via NFS. The needs of the different developers are very different, some are C++ guys, some are into Java or other stuff.

To provide the different groups an uncluttered IDE, I did NOT use p2 up to now, I removed it manually as described on the Wiki. But now, as we want to move on to 3.5, there is no way without p2, right?

To give a better understanding of our setup, this is what we did up to now: There is a main installation directory for the platform. Then, there is a separate directory for CDT, and one for JDT, and some more. The individual user shall NOT fiddle with these install directories, they are read-only for him. In our startup script, for each user a special Eclipse configuration directory inside the user's homedirectory is created, with a platform.xml that contains references to all the extension locations that this particular user needs. This way, one user only gets the CDT features, while another one only gets the Java IDE, all with the same platform install.

Bottom line: The user must not configure anything manually. Our launcher script analyzes the user's environment and creates the corresponding Eclipse configuration (platform.xml) on the fly, without any user interaction (and, of course, without any GUI). Only if that is done, Eclipse itself gets launched.

Is there a way to achieve the same with Eclipse 3.5?

I'd be very thankful for any pointers or hints.
  -Achim

Back to the top