[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[p2-dev] Trying to make sense of agent, installer and director
- From: Torsten Schlabach <tschlabach@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 17:40:19 +0200
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- User-agent: Thunderbird 220.127.116.11 (X11/20090409)
I am currently trying to gain an understanding of how I will manage my
Eclipse SDK and Eclipse based product installations in the future. This
includes both RCP apps as well as possibly headless installations. I
understand p2 is what I want in the future, for a number of good reasons.
Now I am trying to understand what's offered to me at
I think I am most interested in the sections
What would be the difference between
- A launcher for my platform
- An Equinox p2 agent
- An Equinox p2 installer
- The Equinox director which is not listed here at all, but I found it
on the Buckminster update site
My guess was:
- The agent can install arbitrary artifacts into arbitrary locations.
This is managed using some kind of profiles.
- The installer is a special purpose agent which can only install
- The director is the same as the agent, just it can run headless.
- After I will have installed by SDK for example, using either the agent
or the installer or the director, I will not yet have a launcher because
Launchers are not installable by using p2.
Are my guesses about right?