[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [p2-dev] Trying to make sense of agent, installer and director
In one respect, they are all the same (agent, installer, director) as
it is the same code beneath the surface.
It is the UI and how you tell it what you want that differs.
Some small notes:
- the 'director.app' is part of every SDK. There is also a separate
- the p2-installer can be directed to install anything by modifying
the installer.properties. It's UI is streamlined as it performs the
installs a particular way.
On Jun 4, 2009, at 5:40 PM, Torsten Schlabach wrote:
I am currently trying to gain an understanding of how I will manage my
Eclipse SDK and Eclipse based product installations in the future.
includes both RCP apps as well as possibly headless installations. I
understand p2 is what I want in the future, for a number of good
Now I am trying to understand what's offered to me at
I think I am most interested in the sections
What would be the difference between
- A launcher for my platform
- An Equinox p2 agent
- An Equinox p2 installer
- The Equinox director which is not listed here at all, but I found it
on the Buckminster update site
My guess was:
- The agent can install arbitrary artifacts into arbitrary locations.
This is managed using some kind of profiles.
- The installer is a special purpose agent which can only install
- The director is the same as the agent, just it can run headless.
- After I will have installed by SDK for example, using either the
or the installer or the director, I will not yet have a launcher
Launchers are not installable by using p2.
Are my guesses about right?
p2-dev mailing list