[ormf-dev] Time to tackle BA&D

Hi,

Now that we are ready to actually get underway with development the Hydra of building, assembly and deployment (BA&D) has reared its many heads. While we could fall back on Ant or Maven, I think that we should consider moving on to Buckminster. While I have no experience with Buckminster (which scares me:-) it is clearly the tool of choice for EF projects and I have heard some very good things about it.

From the project website
Buckminster is a set of frameworks and tools for automating build, assemble & deploy (BA&D) development processes in complex or distributed component-based development. Buckminster allows development organizations to define fine-grained "production lines" for the various stages in software production - unit testing, integration testing, field deployment, staged migration, etc. - and to automate the execution of corresponding processes.

For me this sums up the problem at hand neatly.

What has brought this to the forefront for me now is that I am beginning to assemble the components that are required to test and prove the new OSGi server architecture. While I will assemble this manually in the first instance, it needs to be automated for development and production.

Of course this is only the first of many tasks that will require scripting.

Does anyone have any experience to date with Buckminster? If so, please share it and your thoughts about using it.

One way of the other we need someone to take on the CM hat. Any volunteers?

All the best,
Joel

P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Thank you.

http://www.etish.org                                                                     http://www.eclipse.org/ormf

Back to the top