Re: [ormf-dev] The plan!

Quoting Joel Rosi-Schwartz <Joel.Rosi-Schwartz@xxxxxxxxx>:

> One thing I would specifically ask of you Achim and Vasile. We would
> really like to do a good job at functional testing. If it is possible
> to utilise GUIDancer it would be really brilliant. Assuming that is
> possible, I would like it if Vasile could be trained up on GUIDancer
> so he can take on the functional testing with you and Barbara
> mentoring him. Vasile, this would not take up all of your time so you
> will definitely have the opportunity to pick up other tasks and
> skills. If Vasile is willing to take it on, are you willing to get
> him trained up so he is ready to go?

Of course we can use GUIdancer for testing. There is still a problem with OSX support. We are working on this, but I don't know if it is solvable at all (Apple has done strange things to the AWT and Swing support). Windows and Linux work well.

I'll help Vasile and in addition I'll try to get one of our dedicated testers to support him as well. Please be aware that in our opionion testing is a skill in it's own right and requires ate least as much knowledge as software development. It's a matter of designing robust tests and not just repeating "boring test scripts".

> We already have a fairly good starting set of test cases that are
> generic so they are tool agnostic. I believe that you have said that
> with GUIDancer it is not necessary to have the GUI running to start
> writing the scripts. Is that accurate?

That's right. All you need are the requirements or even better test scripts (written scenarios, not automation scripts).

> With the presented plan we
> will have ORMF running again at the end of Iteration 1 and functional
> testing could actually be started then. It would be fantastic to have
> a set of regression tests in place before we tear apart the system
> for EMF.

This is doable. I'll work out a way to do nightly test with the (then) current repository and GUIdancer. We are actually doing this with GUIdancer itself and several other application we are developing for customers using CruiseControl and a few ant and shell scripts.

Achim

BREDEX GmbH
Mauernstr. 33
38100 Braunschweig

Tel.: +49-531-24330-0
Fax:  +49-531-24330-99
http: www.bredex.de

Geschäftsführer: Hans-J. Brede, Achim Lörke, Ulrich Obst
Amtsgericht Braunschweig HRB 2450

Back to the top