Re: [orion-dev] User Experience Call

----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Kris De Volder <kdvolder@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > A few items on my list:
> >
> > 1. Navigation sucks. Every time I try to use the navigator, I loose
> > my editor.
>
> Kris did you try the new 'open in new tab' option?  (I always use
> open
> in new tab with orion).

My feedback may be based on 'stale' information. But even before this option was there.
I could already do this by 'Right Click'. That helps a little but my editor still
becomes invisible. And there is a limit to how many tabs you can have open and
still easily find that one tab you are interested in.

> > 2. Searching is confusing.
>
> Which version are you using? This was fixed recently for me.
>
> >  - I have little confidence in the search results and
> >    generally don't know how enter queries that will find what I'm
> >    looking for
> >   (e.g can I just search for a verbatim String and find *every*
> >   occurence of it?
> >   It seems not, because the text gets cut up into 'words' and we
> >   are searching
> >   for words?)
> >  - The indexer gets confused by linked folders on my local drive.
> >  (e.g. it
> >    doesn't remove the contents after I delete the link).
> >  => When I was using orion before to edit / work, I tended to just
> >  use
> >   the editor (which I actually like better than the standard
> >   eclipse one :-)
> >  But I went to eclipse to search for stuff in my workspace.
> >
> > 3. git ui.
> >  The UI is ofputting to me. So much so, that I really didn't bother
> >  much
> >  trying to use it. I just use local git commandline and other tools
> >  like gitg that I'm accustomed to using.
>
> In my experience the git-status page is better than the command line
> for commit related tasks. The UI shows the state without having to
> type "git status" over and over.
>
> The git log page is also helpful because of the branch annotations
> and
> cherry pick options.
>
> The git repositories page is way too slow and verbose. The git
> (single) repository page is also verbose, but it is faster; the log
> listing is slow and too long. There does not seem to be a way to
> fetch
> new branches from remote.
>
> I think there is an important role for git GUI.

I don't disagree on this. I just found my initial try out
of it, which is quite a while ago I admit... too offputting
to want to use it.

I do like GUI tools. I use gitg as much as possible. It shows me a nice
graph-view of branches / history and lets me view diffs and do commits,
rebases, merges by clicking in that graph.

Things it can't do I go to the commandline (after some google searching to
figure out what to type :-)

> Many users new to git
> struggle. Many users only need one simple workflow.  If Orion can
> provide a few workflows with Git it will be a big help.  I doubt any
> GUI will help experts, git is just too complex.

I'm not an expert. And I'm not advocating for ditching the GUI.
But I think the GUI will *never* be complete.

> > 4. logging in again, and again... and again is annoying to me as
> > well.
>
> +1
>
> > 5. I don't like to use favorites, so the empty area on the left
> > side of the editor
> >  is a waste of space (maybe put a navigator, or remove it
> >  alltogether,
> >  having it empty is useless) Yes, I can close it. But still.
>
> +1
>
> > 6. The default editor font is too big.
> > 7. It needs to be more easy to work with multiple editors (I can
> > open multiple
> >   browser windows, close stuff I don't want (favourites), configure
> >   my browser
> >   to hide its own navbars etc. Then carefully put these windows
> >   side-by side...
> >   But this is really too much work to setup a spit screen editor
> >   environment.
>
> This is a result of relying on browser tab management. I see no
> motion
> by browsers to improve this.

If so, then perhaps some other solution needs to be considered.
I *do* want side-by side editors. If the position on this is
that this simply isn't possible because of browser tab management,
that's very disappointing.