Re: [orbit-dev] Logback slf4j impl 1.0.3

> David, what do you think? Is it necessary for consistency (there are
> ch.qos.logback.slf4j 0.9.27 and 1.0.0 in Orbit) to add
> ch.qos.logback.slf4j_1.0.3 bundle, although it will export the same
> packages with the same version, 1.6.4, as ch.qos.logback.slf4j_1.0.0 bundle?

I'd have to look close to understand what you are really asking (if I could even then :)  but can give some general guidelines:

a) we want to mimic what ever the third party provider does as closely as possible, so if you are saying they provide two jars with different versions (but same packages) then yes, we'd want another bundle with different version (even though same packages).

b) We do need to satisfy both the "import package" users and the "require bundle" users, so, not always bad to have same packages come from two bundles (as said, to avoid confusion on what goes with what).

c) If we do have the same packages exported by two bundles, then that is an especially important case where you want each bundle that exports the packages, to also import the packages. That way, if both bundles are in the stack, the  class-loading order won't hurt anything, there would always be only one "winner" and you won't get those weird "class cast" exceptions.

If this doesn't help much, I can look at this closer over the next few days ... but will need to find an hour or so to really focus and read and look at the bundles you are asking about.

Thanks,