Re: [orbit-dev] orbit bundles to maven central

> It's sad to hear this because Orbit is actually supposed to be stable
> from a release point of view, i.e. from time to time builds are promoted
> and stay available for ever. Well, there actually is a retention policy
> for removing old/obsolete bundles. But they are never removed from
> previous releases.
>
> It should be possible to have stable links/urls by using symlinks. Did
> you open a bug for this?

mostly because we have our 'releases' against things that were in
early builds of orbit (from the orbit release perspective) and we have
had a number of instances where we checked out an old release tag and
it wouldn't build because the orbit repo it needed was gone.  so to
make our old releases actually build we couldn't rely on orbit repos
any longer

>> my intent at this point is to stuff our orbit bundles under
>> org.mortbay.jetty.jsp.orbit, or perhaps
>> org.eclipse.jetty.orbit:artifactId.  Ehile it would be nicer if I put
>> them under org.eclipse.orbit....I suspect there might be some
>> heartburn if I went and tried that :)
>
> Frankly, if you put a modified ("patched") 3rd party library into Orbit
> than our naming policy recommends that the bundle is named
> "org.eclipse.orbit.<3rdpartylibrary>" anyway.
>
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Bundle_Naming
>
> I think it makes a lot sense to also make those modifications available
> to consumers outside Eclipse (eg. Maven Central). Thus, why not use the
> "org.eclipse.orbit" name space then?

I think I am good with this...I'll release that and comment more later

cheers,
jesse