Re: [orbit-dev] orbit bundles to maven central

Hi Jesse,

Am 29.11.2011 22:32, schrieb Jesse McConnell:
> however since can't rely on orbit being durable at all, the artifacts
> inside can change their versions, or the link to the actual orbit
> repositories change on a whim we long ago stopped trying to consume
> directory out of orbit for our maven builds, opting instead to put the
> limited number of objects we require into a special directory on
> downloads.eclipse.org under out jetty project and reference those
> directly for building out distributions.....

It's sad to hear this because Orbit is actually supposed to be stable
from a release point of view, i.e. from time to time builds are promoted
and stay available for ever. Well, there actually is a retention policy
for removing old/obsolete bundles. But they are never removed from
previous releases.

It should be possible to have stable links/urls by using symlinks. Did
you open a bug for this?

> my intent at this point is to stuff our orbit bundles under
> org.mortbay.jetty.jsp.orbit, or perhaps
> org.eclipse.jetty.orbit:artifactId.  Ehile it would be nicer if I put
> them under org.eclipse.orbit....I suspect there might be some
> heartburn if I went and tried that :)

Frankly, if you put a modified ("patched") 3rd party library into Orbit
than our naming policy recommends that the bundle is named
"org.eclipse.orbit.<3rdpartylibrary>" anyway.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Bundle_Naming

I think it makes a lot sense to also make those modifications available
to consumers outside Eclipse (eg. Maven Central). Thus, why not use the
"org.eclipse.orbit" name space then?

-Gunnar

--
Gunnar Wagenknecht