Re: [mylyn-integrators] Basic questions about extending AbstractTask

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the slow response on this. Before I dive into answering these questions, I should let you know that Mylyn 3.0 will be available on June 25th and the api for dealing with these issues will be different. Is there any chance you could postpone your implementation and adopt the new api (an RC with the new api will be available before the 25th)?

To answer your question, as you've observed, the connectors don't store the majority of the information on AbstractTask. All your repository task information should be stored on RepositoryTaskData objects. The same RepositoryTaskData that is returned by AbstractRepositoryConnector.getTaskData(). The RepositoryTaskData object has a number of accessor methods for things common to most issue trackers such as comments, attachments etc, but you can store abitrary attributes via RepositoryTaskData.addAttribute(String key, RepositoryTaskAttribute attribute). Your task editor implementation will then get an instance of this RepositoryTaskData to work with, you can then interpret your connector specific attributes and display them accordingly.

Hope this helps with your connector implementation,

-Rob

Tom Bryan (tombry) wrote:
I've just started working on a custom Mylyn connector for Cisco's custom
bug tracking system, and I have a simple questions.
When I extend AbstractTask, that's the class that's supposed to have
fields for holding all of the task properties, right?
The reason I ask is that TracTask has very few attributes.  Even
BugzillaTask has very few attributes.  There's a lot of process shoved
into our bug system here, and I will probably end up with something like
100 fields in my AbstractTask subclass.  Is that where I'm supposed to
put them, or are the other connectors hiding them somewhere else?  Or am
I just thinking about this the wrong way, and Mylyn doesn't really need
an actual member variables for each of these task attributes?

Probably the first of many questions.  :-/

Thanks.

--
Tom Bryan <tombry@xxxxxxxxx>
Cisco Systems