[mylar-dev] RE: Planning

Hi (Mik),

First of all, what information is included in a context task? The
information that Mylar shows under Planning as well?

Since I am not very familiar with EPF nor Mylar context details I might have
missed understood #111218.
I therefore want to verify with your before I make comments to it or add an
additional feature request.

#111218 discusses sharing task context and task awareness. How is this
suppose to be done?
Via instant messengers using Jabber/Smacker , via issue trackers (such as
Bugzilla, Jira etc)?
How does EPF come in here? I am not very familiar with the process and
project management terms yet (it's coming). But, if I understood Scott Lewis
right - which I hope - EPF have the concept 'shared object'. A 'shared
object' then resides in the 'datashare'.

My initial idea was a "a central time tracking facility" which:

 1. is aware about the task and time concept (estimated time, elapsed time,
scheduled for, creation datetime, last update datetime) etc
 2. uses an open protocol to store tasks context
 3. uses an open protocol to query the central

Hence, the central time tracking facility allows storing from anything that
supports the protocol - it can be a an IDE such as Eclipse, a Lisp extension
for XEMACS or even a web application for companies that use many different
tools just need a standard way of reporting time and do planning on a task.

In the same way it allows _any_ project management tool to use it for
querying - it can be a "plugin" for MS Project, a web application or a Maven
plugin that creates a report.

I am not sure if the solution discussed in #111218 is allows this or if the
e.g. the datashare is tightly coupled to EPF or if can be used to store time
information as expressed above without EPF.

What I am basically trying to get to is that a standalone solution for
storing the time information would be best. Then EPF can use it like any
other "client" to retrieve data and Mylar would is it as any other client to
store/input data.

The ideal would be to connect process management, issue tracker and
standalone time tracking facility and then be able to ask a question like
"What tasks for project/product/component X have elapsed time > estimated
time?" and also to be able to show summary pages which contains information
not only about task status in terms of ASSIGNED/NEW/REOPEN/RESOLVED/etc but
also how much time is has taken so far.

Regards,
Jimisola