[mylar-dev] Planning

Hi!

This discussion might be slightly of topic for Mylar, but I think that it's
a good place to start.

Are there any future plans for the planning part of Mylar? And if so, what?

As a developer I come to do more and more of my work in Eclipse. That is,
not only development but also documentation (we use DocBook) for example.

All projects have the problem of synchronizing elapsed time with estimated
time. With the Planning functionality in Mylar I am actually able to keep
better track of this.
However, to my knowledge it seems to be on user level whereas it would be
REALLY interesting if it could be summed up for developers of the whole
project.
I think it would be of great benefit to any project leader and since the
developers do it anyway it won't be "extra work".

It would be very nice if Mylar's information could be reported back to "a
central time tracking facility" manually by the user or automatically,
perhaps scheduled once every 6h.
This "time tracking facility" could of course be the issue tracker if it
handles it. Otherwise it would have to be something else, a project tool for
example.

The reason why I am bringing this up is that at work we have been struggling
with this.
If we use (Gnome) Planner or even Microsoft Project we can't synchronize
tasks including time information with e.g. Bugzilla and Jira.

A dream would be for the developer using Maven to report "back in" and a
"project management tool" would have update-to-date task status (including
elapsed time of it), task dependencies etc.
Talking to Jason van Zyl I know that he in addition to our idea of wrapping
Mylar's Tasks API for Maven's issue management API he also has an idea about
a project management API.

Have yet to know exactly what he has in mind, but hopefully he will have a
proposal available soon.

Starting to wonder if not Maven, Mylar and Eclipse Process Framework Project
(EPF) might have something here...
I should clearify that I am a newbie on project management and processes,
but it's seems reasonable that there are some commonalities (right word?).

So, why this post? As I wrote initially I primarily wonder what plans Mylar
has for Planning.
I also, wonder what other people think. Am I/we on the right track thinking
in terms of making issue tracker, project management and development
environment "work together"?

Regards,
Jimisola
Sent from the Mylar Dev forum at Nabble.com.

Back to the top