RE: [mylar-dev] Stand alone bug tracking

Fyi I just looked into this and here is the reasoning, straight from the
horse's mouth, Neal Gafter, who states that this is a legal issue.  His
blessing of Retroweaver is definitely promising.  In case anyone is
interested:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?forumID=316&threadID=503547

> Is it possible to limit what compiler compiles to 1.4
> so it can do it cleanly? Just Generics?

We cannot legally do this unless there is a platform specification that
describes this version of the language. JLS2 doesn't allow generics, and
JLS3 will have ALL the new language features. What would be the TCK
compatibility requirements for this hybrid language?

> I would be willing not to use the rest for the
> features for a while. Just whatewer subset of 1.5
> which can be cleanly compiled to 1.4 People already
> start looking for work around (retroweaver is an
> example) it is indicateive to the needs of the
> comunity

I'm very happy to see retroweaver available!
The problem is not and engineering problem of how to implement it - as you
can see from the jsr14 prototype, we've worked out the technical issues -
nor of why we should do so. We even know how to make enums work (thanks,
Lubo!). The problem is a legal one in that it violates the Java platform
specifications. That is not something we would allow our licensees to do,
and we should not therefore do it ourselves. If we allow the hybrid language
then we will need a language specification, a conformance suite, and
licensing terms for the hybrid language.