Re: [mosquitto-dev] Accepting connection based on client's certificate

Jan Lukavský <je.ik@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Yes, UNIX socket is no problem, or maybe gRPC? That could be efficient
> enough (not available in pure C, would have to be C++ submodule, could
> have C interface though), although the fork is of no big overhead
> given that there is synchronous TLS handshake (and thus many cycles
> between user space and kernel space and even sending data multiple
> cycles over wire). My measurements didn't show any significant impact
> of the forking to the number of connections per second just from the
> fork. It might be a little more secure to use a more defined protocol,
> though.

Fair enough about TLS/etc.  I guess it just seems that forking for this
is icky, at least to me, and I realize that's a preference thing.

> The plugin architecture is of course possible, but it seems a bit more
> fragile - the application code might not be as well tested as
> mosquitto server itself and a security or other vulnerability might
> compromise the whole server. So were I implement this I would choose a
> different process (fork, UNIX socket, gRPC). gRPC would be the
> preferred option for me, personally.

True about plugins, but they could just be glue to RPC mechanisms.

I am not familiar with gRPC and it's dimly on my list of things to look
at but if base mosquitto w/o the cpp wrapper can be built without C++
now, it seems like a regression to require C++ for the core.

Maybe CORBA?  (That's a joke.)

Back to the top