Re: [mosquitto-dev] Accepting connection based on client's certificate

Hi Greg,

thanks for answer. I'll add a little more context to the question. Suppose the following situation;

 a) you have your own CA that issues certificates for clients connecting to mosquitto

 b) each certificate that is generated is securely stored by the CA

 c) common name in client's certificate is used for ACLs

Now let's consider that our CA's private key is compromised. The would mean we have two options:

 1) revoke and regenerate all client certificates

 2) ensure that even if attacker uses the authority's private key and generates his own certificates, we can detect that

Option 1) might be costly and time consuming, would probably suffer from service interruptions, etc.

Option 2) does not have this problem, because because we *know* certificates that were legitimately signed by our CA, we can just drop connections that look OK, but are actually created using stolen private key. Of course, this is just a temporary workaround to give time to fully proceed with option 1) but ensures that there is no time when attacker can be harmful and that there are no disruptions for users.

Does that make sense?

Jan