Re: [mihini-dev] Mihini Licensing for redistributable runtime parts ?

Hello Cuero, Hello Pascal –

The EPL is great for any “tooling” kind of software, but it’s problematic when it comes to deploying “runtimes” on devices. If you follow the documentation on why the EDL was introduced, that’s exactly the reason why it was done. For some background material, see the 18-Jun-2008 Eclipse Board Meeting Minutes [1] (search “EDL”) along with the Exhibit P Presentation [2] especially slide 11 ff. There are more examples of EDL discussions when you google “Eclipse Board EDL”.

At Wind River, we’re looking at Mihini for an internal innovation project, but the license is a KO-criterion for us: when it remains EPL only we can’t ever deploy it on any commercial devices, thus our research project would be useless. We’d immediately stop with Mihini and look at alternatives.

Regarding the terms that “force you to contribute back”: In my own experience, this “legal force to contribute back” doesn’t work in practice. There are lots of clones of EPL software on github, but having access to those clones doesn’t help you when the maintainers of those clones don’t care working with the project and merging back their changes.

So in my personal opinion, whether you receive contributions is not a question of EPL versus EDL, but it’s a question of trust and collaboration with your communities. When you make it easy for adopters to contribute back, they will do so because they benefit from their own changes being maintained along with mainstream.

You’ll have to make up your minds yourselves – but given that you’re appealing to embedded runtimes, and given that you have C code that’s meant to be linked against embedded runtimes I strongly suggest considering the EDL for your project.

Let me know if I can help with any questions !

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/org/foundation/boardminutes/2008_06_18-19_Minutes.php

[2] http://www.eclipse.org/org/foundation/boardminutes/2008_06_exhibits/ExhibitP.pdf

Thanks,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Architect – Development Tools, Wind River

direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6