From: mihini-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mihini-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Oberhuber, Martin
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 5:36 PM
To: mihini-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx; Benjamin Cabé
Subject: [mihini-dev] Mihini Licensing for redistributable runtime parts ?

Dear Mihini team, hi Benjamin –

A new group at WindRiver might be interested leveraging Mihini, but there are concerns that we cannot link EPL code into target runtimes that we sell to our end users. IIRC, a main concern is that end users who have some EPL code in their devices would have to ship a licensing document with the device that gives details about where to obtain source code – and that’s not practical, or even impossible with some devices.

For that reason, the EDL (“Eclipse Distribution License”), which is BSD,  was defined a couple years ago and we use it in the TCF project for any code that’s meant to be linked into runtimes. In fact, the TCF agent is dual-licensed under EPL + EDL.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/TCF#How_is_TCF_licensed.3F

Has such a licensing change been considered by Mihini so far ?

For us in TCF, it was a key point for getting any serious adoption. And we decided to change the license early, before there’s too many independent contributors … each contributor would have to be asked, therefore a licensing change is much easier when the project is new in Open Source and mostly backed up by a single company.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Architect – Development Tools, Wind River

direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6

Back to the top