[mihini-dev] FW: [m2m-iwg] Google Summer of Code

Hi all,

I think the community can benefit from using a network protocol analyzer
like Wireshark [1] for debugging or analysis M2M streams but they would
likely be binary encoded making them tricky to inspect.

Like the protobuf-plugin for Wireshark [2], it could be useful to have dissector
plugins for the various protocols we support (e.g. OMA-DM, MQTT, M3DA, ...)
in order to expose a human readable output of a packet or a stream.
I know Lua can be used for scripting Wireshark but I can't say if you could
use that layer for developping plugins [3] (could be handy for M3DA though).

Not sure if Wireshark being developed outside of the Eclipse foundation
as GPL project is an issue but I think that is something that could be really
useful especially for new comers that wants to see what is really exchanged
between nodes or for dissecting a sample communication during a
presentation (better than showing a TS or a RFC ;)).

This might more of a Paho features than a Mihini one after thinking more
about it but the question was asked on that list.

[1] http://www.wireshark.org/
[2] http://code.google.com/p/protobuf-wireshark/
[3] http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChDissectAdd.html

--