[mdt-papyrus.dev] HIPP: About Feature Jobs

Hi all,

As you may have noticed, we’re putting a strong load on the Papyrus Hudson instance. While some of this load is “expected”, there is also a lot of accidental load. I’d like to remind some of the good practices to avoid that:

-          Don’t build periodically. While this makes sense for Main builds to build daily, it is often not true for feature builds. Polling the Git repository is sufficient

-          Don’t store build artifacts forever. 3 or 5 builds is sufficient.

-          When you’re not working on a feature anymore, disable the job and clean the workspace

o   Workspaces can be huge, especially if your build runs daily and uses a local Maven repository (Extra, Tests, ...)

-          When the feature is merged, and the build has been disabled for some time, delete the job

-          Don’t create a feature build for small patches. Only mid/long-term developments should need a feature build

Additionally, please use the Papyrus-Feature-* prefix for ALL feature builds. Names such as Papyrus-Luna-MyFeature or Papyrus-Master-MyTool are confusing. If your feature is targetting Luna, then Papyrus-Feature-Luna-MyFeature is acceptable.

When in doubt, clone an existing feature build such as Papyrus-Feature-PropertiesView (Don’t clone Master directly)

I will rename, disable and clean the workspace of all feature builds which are not “obviously” active. Please feel free to reactivate them if needed.

Thanks,
Camille

Back to the top