Re: [mdt-ocl.dev] First shot at impact analyzer doc

Hi Axel

The diagrams are crisper, but still lack lines from my understanding of UML, but perhaps they are not UML diagrams. You need to define your notation. I recall that my PhD supervisor insisting that every diagram notation must be defined. The big advantage of UML, is that "UML" is an adequate notation definition.

In my experience diagrams serve three purposes:

a) design aid: the pain of drawing assists the draughtsman in clarifying ideas. Other viewers do not experience the pain and so may fail to appreciate the rationale/beauty that is obvious to the draughtsman.

b) publication: multiple concepts are combined to save diagrams and topology is abused to save space. These diagrams are usually hard to understand. In the same way that equations need elaboration of missing steps, published diagrams probably need redrawing to understand them.

c) education: the drawing tells a simple story. These can be really useful but are hard to do.

Words have a natural order, so readers naturally read the story left to right, top to bottom.

Pictures do not have a natural order, so viewers do not know where to start. It is good to impose a primarily top to bottom and/or left to right order to provide the story framework upon which detail can be hung.

It can be confusing to combine multiple stories in one diagram. It is usually better to have separate diagrams for some/all of:

inheritance (an implementation convenience)
composition/reference (the static object/state architecture)
construction (the system start algorithm)
destruction (the system stop algorithm)
messages/sequence (an algorithm flow)

Meta can be particularly confusing. Sometimes it is important to have two or more levels on one diagram. If so it is good to have a very strong horizontal/vertical boundary to separate the levels. e.g. The horizontal axis for composition/reference and the vertical axis for meta-levels.

    Regards

        Ed