От: mdt-ocl.dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mdt-ocl.dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] от имени Ed Willink [ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Отправлено: 27 июля 2009 г. 0:48
Кому: MDT OCL mailing list
Тема: Re: [mdt-ocl.dev] Backwards compatibility for MDT OCL

Hi Alex

I thought that all train projects were supposed to track the train, so that for instance QVTo should use M1 then M2 then M3 etc.
Milestones are there for early feedback. This was clearly necessary for p2 in Galileo that was very troublesome in M1 and M2
and only just made it for the RCs.

I was envisaging largely upward compatible enhancements only in M1 and M2; e.g addition of 'static' parsing. No change from 1.3.0/2.0.0.

Almost all the breaking API changes in M3 (possibly M4). Change to 3.0.0.

Bug fixes and further largely upward compatible enhancements in M4, M5, M6. Still 3.0.0.

I don't think that we're making such rapid progress that holding API changes back to M3 will be a problem. It's just bringing all
other changes forward to M3, at least in stub form, that may be hard.

    Regards

       Ed

Alexander Igdalov wrote:

Hi Ed,

I think we can use the style that would be most convenient for us. We are incrementing the major segment of the version number - since then clients should be aware of possible API changes and keep abreast of  the latest sources.
But taking your considerations into account, I think a good idea would be to recommend the clients to start switching to 3.0.0 after say M3. Before that they can use 1.4.0. What do you think?

Cheers,
Alex.