From: mat-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mat-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of ERIC CLONINGER
Sent: Dienstag, 23. November 2010 17:20
To: Memory Analyzer Dev list
Subject: Re: [mat-dev] Using MAT for Android

Ciao Gentlemen!

I'll have to get the engineering team lead (Vinicius) to comment on
the details of the integration. But, from my recollection, it wasn't
terribly difficult to include in the product. I don't get to write
code any more, so anything that takes less than 2 weeks is "trivial"
:-)

If you want to try it, download MOTODEV Studio at
developer.motorola.com. It's free, but you have to create a
registration to download. You can opt out of all communication from
Motorola if you wish. Alternately, you can install Studio as plugins
into your existing Eclipse.

Once installed, we detect that the Android SDK is missing and use P2
to retrieve it from Google's update site. Or, if you have the Android
SDK already installed, just point to it.

From the MOTODEV Studio perspective, you first create an emulator
image (called an AVD). The first time you start the emulator, it takes
~5 minutes to unpack the filesystem and start QEMU. After that, it
takes less time but it's not speedy by any stretch of the imagination.

Create a sample app using (MOTODEV->New Project->From Sample).  Use
the "Run as Android App with MOTODEV Studio" launch configuration.  At
this point, from the device management view, you can select your
emulator, right click, and choose (Analyze Memory with MAT).

The resulting workflow runs HPROF and then MAT. The results are
displayed in a window in the editing area. The HPROF generation for
input to MAT is done by the Google DDMS tool and is exposed in their
plugins. We added filtering so that the output focused solely on
values of interest to the users' application and not other processes.
We also simplified the workflow somewhat. I do know we added at least
one button in the toolbar to handle OQL searches. But, I'll let Vini
tell you the details.

Are you attending EclipseCon? We thought it might be a good talk to
present our adoption case. But, I don't think it would make a full
session. If you are already proposing a MAT talk, we could provide
some information on our adoption.

Regards

Eric

--
Eric Cloninger (ericc@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Senior Product Manager, MOTODEV Studio for Android