Re: [m2t-dev] [Acceleo] Where is Maven support ?

Hi Mariot,

Thanks for your fast answer.
Comments below :p

On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 12:50 +0100, Mariot Chauvin wrote:
>  [...]
>
> Le 15/03/2011 12:14, Didier Villevalois a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've read here and there on the eclipse Acceleo project page that
> > Acceleo 3.1 is supposed to be released in June with Maven support.
> >
> > Digging in the Acceleo CVS repository I can't find anything that relates
> > to Maven. So a bunch of straight questions :p
> >
> > Is Maven support not yet implemented ?
>
> We started by working on ant tasks which we think are necessary to
> better support maven.

I'm not a Maven expert either but I'm pretty sure having Ant tasks won't
help in creating a Maven plugin.

There are two aspects for Acceleo to bring Maven integration:

- Providing a repository to distributes all your packages (I guess you
can also use an existing public open-source repository but I'm not sure
about anything about licenses. Maybe a shared repository among eclipse
projects would be better)

- Providing a Maven plugin to trigger the use of the Acceleo compiler
(that plugin is also distributed throught the repository)

That done, when someone declares in its project's Maven POM (aka Project
Object Model) that it needs the (say) o.e.acceleo.compiler plugin and
has for dependency o.e.acceleo.runtime, the Maven build tool (mvn) will
automatically search the repositories and pull for the plugin and
dependencies, trigger the compiler plugin. And voilà!

> > Will we have it for the 3.1 release as claimed on the project page ?
>
> We hope so.
>
> > Is there a public Maven repository where I can find all the compiler's
> > required dependencies ?
> > Is there a public Maven repository where I can find all of the runtime
> > dependencies ?
> The acceleo runtime can be used in a stand alone environment with only
> emf standalone as dependency.

Sorry, if I was not clear. I meant is there a Maven repository where I
can pull the packaged jar containing org.eclipse.acceleo.engine.*
classes.

I already found a repository distributing o.e.emf.common, o.e.emf.ecore
and o.e.emf.ecore.xmi.

One of the main goal of Maven is automated dependency management. So the
first step is that you setup a Maven repository (backed by for instance
Artifactory, also compatible with Ivy and Graddle) to distribute binary
and source packages of your code, and integrate that with your
continuous integration.

I may be able to produce an Acceleo compiler Maven plugin for you, but I
can't set up the repository for you and that is the first step. (Also
for Ant/Ivy and Graddle integration BTW).

> > I've seen so many posts on the web about people already using Maven to
> > run the Acceleo compiler, so I'd really be glad not to reinvent the
> > wheel once more...
> >
> > If there is (even only preliminary) support for Maven available on a
> > source repository somewhere please point it to me.
>
> Not yet. But we should provide with ant tasks that work better than
> previously.

Could you tell where I can find those ant tasks in the CVS repository
asap ?

Thanks for you help.
Sincerily, Didier.

Back to the top