Re: [m2m-iwg] AXEDA Comments on MQTT contribution to ECLIPSE PAHO & OASIS

That is a very good point, Roger.

I strongly suspect it comes from heritage MQSeries (and mainframe) days, but ICBW. AndySC, Dave, Ian, Nick et al might be able to fill in more detail.

Probably does not make sense to mandate a particular length, especially one that short.

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Roger Light <roger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM, UOMo <uomo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Those of you dealing with OASIS might have seen this comparison then:
> https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/amqp/201202/msg00086/StormMQ_WhitePaper_-_A_Comparison_of_AMQP_and_MQTT.pdf

Raphael raises some interesting points but I disagree with a few of
them. I haven't emailed him about it. One of the points which he has
incorrect is "MQTT requires short user names and short passwords that
do not provide enough entropy in the modern world." Although this is
incorrect, the spec does *recommend* that usernames and passwords are
kept to 12 characters or fewer. Do we really want to recommend short
passwords? I think this recommendation is something that should be
removed from the spec as part of the OASIS work. There is no backwards
compatibility issue and I don't believe that it is a good
recommendation.

Cheers,

Roger