Re: [m2e-users] [IMPORTANT] Unable to build system into configurable directory

Hi,

I'd put myself in the novice group considering maven, but after I recently switched from Ant to maven I'd try to give you some basic stuff:

1) with maven you build your modules (in maven lingo artifacts) and install them to a repository - this must not be additional product - every user has its own repository, obeying the maven layout

2) you are referencing the artifacts from the repository in your classpath and NOT the eclipse projects even the m2e plugin does the magic to reflect the workspace changes. But this is eclipse / m2e specific. So, if you have a dependency on some.groupId:some-artifactId:1.0-SNAPSHOT this dependency will be searched in the repository, so if you never had run mvn install on the dependend artifact you'll get an error - dependency some.groupId:some-artifactId:1.0-SNAPSHOT - artifact not found

3) making release could require some maven plugin(s) - for example take a look at the maven assembly plugin[1]. For example, our project has a fat client, which is deployed as Java WebStart app and the server component is delivered as EAR. The web-project must contain the build artifacts for the Java WebStart. In order to accomplish this I have to use the maven java webstart plugin and some execution goals with the dependency plugin. To sign the client app I have to use maven-jar-plugin.

Don't worry - it sounds difficult but you can plenty of examples on the maven site as well as googling for some problem

Hope this helps for the moment

[1] https://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/