Re: [m2e-users] Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.3.2:compile (execution: default-compile, phase: compile)

m2e developers, I appreciate your work and do not want you to feel attacked in any way on this, but just want to suggest that you should maybe consider this as a more important issue than it is currently. And my belief is that there are cheap and simple solutions that could make a lot of people a lot happier.

1) From what I read, many people are upset by having to reconfigure their pom just for m2e, ... and even more upset to see that the m2e team considers this as a minor issue.
2) Quite some people would already be very happy to simply see those errors as warning (including myself). It could be a setting if you really feel this is an error, but IMHO, we lived without this error for years, so I don't really understand the need to report these problems as a strong issue with an error marker (especially that we cannot fix this same error on all projects with the quick fix assistant). I don't think that this must be something terribly complicated to modify nor very impacting in your code, so this could easily be done and would already make many people happy.
3) The argument that "POMs are shared across teams through Maven repositories and through SCMs. Eclipse settings are not. " is contradictary in itself. If Eclipse settings are not shared it is because they are specific to Eclipse--> Therefore, specific Eclipse settings (like the m2e lifecycle configuration) should not be put in shared files.

Just to let you how serious I think this is, I am really considering moving to an alternate IDE just for that. May sound stupid, but other IDE do not go through these kind of ugly patch, so I really don't see why Eclipse should.

Sorry if you feel this is harsh, this is not my intent.

Cheers,
Guillaume