[m2e-users] Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.3.2:compile (execution: default-compile, phase: compile)

Hi List,

I know I am not the first to ask this question, but I want to make sure I understand correctly the error I am seeing in Eclipse with m2e 1.0.100 on all my Maven projects.

So I have a large multi-module Maven project and almost all of them show me an error with the message "Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.3.2:compile (execution: default-compile,
     phase: compile)
", and the same thing for testCompile.
I have recently modified the compiler used by m-c-p to use this one (since the one from Oracle lamely crashes while compiling):
                            <groupId>org.sonatype.tycho</groupId>
                            <artifactId>tycho-compiler-jdt</artifactId>
                            <version>0.11.1</version>

So, my understanding is that M2E puts an error on my pom.xml (and therefore my project) because it does not handle directly this configuration of the maven-compiler? Is this correct?
If yes, is not it a bit strong to put an error on this while we know that the eclipse compiler will do the job anyway? I was quite frustrated to see that now all my projects are marked as in error while they all work.

I can definitely not tell other developers that they first have to select all 66 projects and go on them one by one to indicate that M2E can safely ignore this. Could not this be simply a warning instead of an error?

Or am I just not understanding something on the way M2E and Eclipse work together?

Thanks in advance,

Guillaume

Back to the top