Re: [m2e-users] Where are "extra" POM views

On Sep 26, 2011, at 9:38 AM, Steve Cohen wrote:

On 09/24/2011 11:28 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:
The graph made a huge mess

that may be so.  I started a thread here several months abput how I was getting too many out-of-memory errors when using Eclipse.  Perhaps this guy was the cause.

and doesn't actually help you see anything.

Here, I must beg to differ.  The graphical view DID on several occasions help me to see AT A GLANCE where dependency conflicts were occurring, While it's true that there were other ways to see that information, the ability to see it at a glance was worth something.  Picture worth 10000 words, etc.

The graph actually doesn't show you where any of the conflicts are because it's a graph. The tree actually shows you all sources for different versions of a dependency and what actually gets selected. I think people are just attracted to the visual graph but the Dependency Hierarchy view is in every case after talking to users what they actually want. Look at the Dependency Hierarchy view and I'm pretty sure you'll come to the same conclusion.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

{script:nopre:"/Users/jvanzyl/signature/signature.sh"}

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

{script:nopre:"/Users/jvanzyl/signature/signature.sh"}

Back to the top