Re: [m2e-dev] semantic versioning / Re: Starting a 2.0 with breaking changes soon?

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 11:33 AM Christoph Läubrich <laeubi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
requiring such a construct is more often an indication that your
API/Bundle is not well shaped. "Internal API" is just the eclipse term
of "its useful but I don't want to maintain backward compatibility here"
that's a complete different story.

In a well shaped system there is no need for such constructs as
everything that is internal is simply never exported.

IMO, you're in between dogmatism and utopia here ;) And while I have concerns about dogmatism, I highly respect and envy utopia, it's the best mindset to make progress.
So at the moment, there is a pragmatic need for those x-friends/x-internal in m2e (and others). Any change that can be done towards removing need for that stuff without increasing the amount of publicly supported APIs and without decreasing the functional value would be really welcome.

So why not switching then to the more broad adopted terms then? Semver
is not only a matter of package export but also proper version imports
and eclipse is simply not respect that part of semver ..

That would be welcome. The issue is that as far as I know, there are not so many as convenient tools for good semver on package-basis than there are for bundle versions so far. At least, definitely not in PDE. Does BND has such tools? Can they be integrated into a MANIFEST-first workflow?

Back to the top