[m2e-dev] semantic versioning / Re: Starting a 2.0 with breaking changes soon?

What I'm wondering (now we are ready for breaking things) is if we are should switch from release/bump versions to semantic versioning and also communicating this to consumers.

--- That would solve two issues: ---

1) currently the concept of "compatible connectors" is broken and effectively does not work. with semver there would be a natural definition of "compatible" but we might require connectors to update from time to time their version ranges. I think that is not that bad given that some connectors are lingering around without any updates it might be better that these become incompatible and someone takes some actions (migrate, dispose, get some other people to support is if it is important for them)

2) we never need to think about if API breaks are good, or need a 3.0 for m2e as a whole, and will get a better feeling if and how we break consumers.

The advantage would also be that we might be able to make people more aware of semver and on the long term be able to establish OSGi best practice in the Eclipse universe.

-- What would be required? --

To support this best, we would need beside the usual core/ui stuff an API bundle, so for example

m2e.api -> contains all API / SPI interfaces with versioned packages
m2e.core -> contains our implementations of the above and so on, should never be referenced by clients or only in rare circumstances
m2e.ui -> all the UI stuff.

Beside that I planned to add semver support to tycho as well, so even if we for a short time have to handle this manually we hopefully will get good automatic support for this soon through tycho, adding such support would be best if there is at least one consumer (m2e in this case).