Re: [m2e-dev] Support for gitflow-Extension via m2e-connector - possible solution?

Hi,

From https://www.eclipse.org/lists/m2e-users/msg05802.html

"Sorry but m2e doesn't support .mvn extensions at this time. It's a non-trivial project to solve. The same maven runtime is used for all projects of the workspace.

If you add extensions to the mix, those would leak into unrelated projects in the same Eclipse workspace, leading to unexpected issues.
Anyone willing to tackle this issue, please be my guest."

I think the main problem is, that extensions need to be loaded in the core classloader as they replace classes of core maven while the runtime is shared.  And the extension should only be active in the projects using it.

Perhaps a good-enough-solution would be to define a lib folder and put the extensions.xml there - I would suggest a folder in eclipse installation directory (which is used by all workspaces) and optionally one in workspace/workspace setting pointing to a directory. This would give flexibility and a basic extension support while avoiding the need for separated runtimes.

For the gitflow-extension this would be appropriate in every case as it is only effective with an additional configuration. For other extensions the user has the choice to use it everywhere or to create separate workspaces.

Regards Michael