[location-iwg] Incubation Proposal Background

It seems that most of the difficult questions we covered in our first conversation. I have managed to breeze through the remaining sections:
- https://github.com/uDig/udig-docs/blob/master/admin/proposal/proposal.html

So while the proposal has not gone past the udig project steering committee yet; I would like to invite the email list to kick around the remaining content. (If I can hunt down the uDig PSC in time I will add formal application to tomorrows meeting adgenda - indeed I may be able to add it already in which case this email list can kick around the proposal formally)

To continue the discussion we should moved on to the "background" section. This time it is easy as I left the section blank. Any time I tried filling it in it ended up sounding like background on "Why GIS" or "why LocationTech". I feel the "scope" section has this one covered for the uDig project.

Backgroud
========
uDig Proposal (https://github.com/uDig/udig-docs/blob/master/admin/proposal/proposal.html):)

<h2>Background</h2>

<!--
Optionally provide the background that has lead you to creating this project.
-->

MPC EXAMPLE (http://eclipse.org/proposals/mpc/)
Background
The Eclipse community has hundreds, if not thousands, of third-party plugins that users can add to their Eclipse installation. Unfortunately, there is not easy way to discover and install these solutions from within Eclipse.

The Eclipse Foundation has recently launched a new website, called Eclipse Marketplace, that provides a listing of Eclipse-based solutions. The listings allow each solution provider to specify a p2 update site for their solution. Eclipse users now have a central repository to find Eclipse solutions but the install process is still not tightly integrated with the Eclipse workspace.

MPC will provide the tight install integration between the Eclipse workspace and Eclipse Marketplace, plus other third party solution listings

Aether EXAMPLE (http://eclipse.org/proposals/technology.aether/)

Does not provide a background section

Back to the top