[location-iwg] Incubation proposal Scope

This one was odd as the template instructions differed from the aether example. Still for uDig this one was easy to fill in as we had a clear scope definition on our home page, adding any words here did not appear to add value; although if you spot anything I can take out …
- Perhaps both "rich client" and "desktop users" is redundant ? However still need to convey that a running application is in scope.  Alternate: "Provide an Eclipse RCP mapping application").

uDig Proposal (https://github.com/uDig/udig-docs/blob/master/admin/proposal/proposal.html):
The scope of uDig is to:
<ul>
<li>Provide an Eclipse-based rich client mapping solution for desktop users</li>
<li>Provide an SDK of mapping components for use in Eclipse RCP development</li>
<li>Support mapping with local and external sources of spatial information</li>
</ul>
Scope
The scope of MPC is to:
  • Provide an Eclipse-based rich client for installing solutions listed in the Eclipse Marketplace.
  • Provide a workflow for finding and installing solutions, layering on top of the Eclipse P2 and providing a streamlined and simplified workflow that does not require users to enter and manage update sites.
  • Support different external sources of solution listing catalogs (ex. Eclipse release train catalog, third party catalog, internal corporate catalog)
  • Awesome end-user experience for uninstalling eclipse solutions

Aether EXAMPLE (http://eclipse.org/proposals/technology.aether/)

Scope
The Aether project provides a general-purpose artifact resolution mechanism that can be embedded in any Java program. The Aether project also provides Ant Tasks that allow Ant builds to have the exact same dependency management capabilities as Maven 3.x. The Aether project does not providing any UI related to dependency management
.
--
Jody Garnett

Back to the top