Re: [location-iwg] Incubation Proposal "intro"

Oh look I am able to answer one of my own questions, the Starting_A_New_Project page links to a Project_Naming_Policy page.

With that in mind I can grind through the project naming policy:
a) Descriptive name: User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS
- Framework or Tools? While a framework is provided the bit people can download and run is generally more interest. Similar to how you can embed the BIRT reporting engine.
- Platform or Framework? This is tougher as we do provide a framework for people building their own RCP App that includes some GIS components. Indeed this is the main success story for uDig thus far.
b) Short name: uDig
- mix of characters is okay
- results in qualified name of "locationtech-udig"
c) Nickame: n/a
d) Not a product name? uDig is not considered a commercial product, it is the name of an open source project

Trademark check; this one will be tough as a lot of countries have a "call before u-dig" hotline or similar program. So while google and wikipedia correctly match the project to "udig", it looks like a couple groups have put a TM on the term since the project was started (http://www.markify.com).

Using the project name:

 "The proposed LocationTech project User-friendly Desktop Internet GIS (uDig)…."

Infrastructure:
a) forum / newsgroup (really?): depends how "LocationTech" is handled
- eclipse.udig
- locationtech.udig <-- I expect this one is correct?
- location-tech.udig
b) mailing list:
- udig-dev
c) package: once again depends on how "LocationTech" is handled
- org.eclipse.udig
- org.eclipse.location.udig
- org.eclipse.locationtech.udig
- org.locationtech.udig <--- I expect this one is correct?

--
Jody Garnett