Re: [linuxtools-dev] Unified launcher for remote profiling?

> Just checked out the lastest master Linuxtools code and saw the work
> on the unified local launcher. I want to check if there are any
> plans (or anyone) commited to do this unification but using te
> remote launchers. If there is none I'll work on it.

A user guide for profiling unification has been made here :

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/Profiling/User_Guide

It should provide some information on the current state of profiling
from a user's point of view.

Initially the plan was to get this working for just the local plugins
that could be grouped.

I guess we could have plugins that can run remotely use the same
extension point, but some small changes would have to be made. I'm
not entirely familiar with all the details about remote profiling as
I haven't touched it in a while, but assuming a project is already set
up on some remote machine it should be possibe.

Another thing I'd like to see from the remote profiling additions to
various projects is more consistency across different plugins.
Initially I saw the remote profiling components for a plugin be
created under a separate plugin (eg. o.e.l.oprofile.remote.launch)
and in other cases I saw it as a subpackage in a plugin
(eg. o.e.l.internal.perf.remote.launch in o.e.l.perf). In some cases
the code to do remote launching had quite a bit of duplicate code from
the local launch delegate.

I think before we can contribute the remote profiling work, we should focus
our efforts on cleaning it up some more and adding tests.

--
Roland Grunberg

Back to the top