Re: [linuxtools-dev] Linuxtools unified launch

On 10/09/2012 04:56 PM, Wainer Moschetta wrote:
On 10/09/2012 05:09 PM, Jeff Johnston wrote:
On 10/09/2012 02:47 PM, Roland Grunberg wrote:
Hi all,

I saw a message from Jeff into CDT mailing list regarding unifying
linuxtools launchers. If I understood correctly that unification is
emphasized for local c/c+ although we now have remote capabilities in
almost all plug-ins and, thus, I got a bit worried.

I think the remote tools we have should still work. The goal of the
unification that was discussed is mainly so that we can inherit the
launch configuration attributes from a regular C/C++ launch, and
potentially have the CDT delegate the launching to our tools in certain
cases (eg. the user specifies they want profiling).

Jeff could probably give a bit more detail on this.

The idea is that the launch short-cut should define the executable and
how it is launched, not the profiling tool.  From a grammatical point
of view, it does not make sense to say: Profile as...-> Profile with
Valgrind.

Linuxtools remote proxy has an implementation (provider) for PTP Remote
Tools. However, an C/C++ PTP remote project is not able to detect
executables (i.e. binaries) and that were exactly my main concern.

or am I missing something?

Sorry, yes, I had neglected that support. No matter, there just wouldn't be a launch short-cut and the user would have to use the Profile Configurations dialog. This would be similar to the CDT which has additional launches that appear from the Run/Debug Configurations dialog but it only presents the one short-cut from the context menu.

Now, there is already a Local C/C++ Application short-cut used by the
CDT which only specifies Run and Debug modes to the Eclipse Platform.

The proposal is to extend the CDT's launch short-cut such that it will
provide profiling support through our framework.  Thus, a user will
see one of the choices as: Profile as..-> Local C/C++ Application.
This makes sense and as Roland has noted, the end-user benefits in
that common settings such as Program Arguments and Environment
Variables only need to be set once for all 3 modes: Run / Debug /
Profile.

Regarding remote support: there is nothing to prevent a special launch
short-cut being created that is titled "Local C/C++ Application on
Remote System" which defines our remote efforts thus far.  If we were
to do it, it would likely not support debugging.  If we could convince
the CDT to add it, it would use the same underlying mechanism to bind
our profiling framework in their short-cut.

see comment above.

The work of sharing the CDT Local C/C++ Application Launch short-cut
is being proposed for Kepler and is only in the infant stages of
discussion.  I attended the Multicore-Debug call today and in fact got
some positive feedback on the idea. I am opening a bug regarding this.

OK, I will be watching close and I am willing to help whatever is needed.

Indeed, it seems a great refactoring that should improve usability a
lot
and I just would like to check negative impacts (if any) in the
project
that I work on. So my broaden doubt is: what is the plan for unified
launch?

As mentioned, Kepler only.

There is a profiling unification we are planning for 1.2 which is
outlined here :

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/Profiling/Unification

All the plugins that will be contributing to it have been modified
to work, and this work is being done on the master branch. In most
cases the only change needed was done in the plugin.xml (with some
plugins needing the creation of a launcher).

Hope this helps,