Re: [linuxtools-dev] Remote environment binutils

I cannot find any information on remote environment binutils ?

There is not support in Linux Tools to run remote binutils. The c++filt and addr2line commands are run using the org.eclipse.cdt.utils.CPPFilt and org.eclipse.cdt.utils.Addr2line classes and nm is run using exec. I don't know if cdt supports remote c++filt and addr2line, but I would say that this is not supported.

Is there an extension point, eclipse plugin or any implementation for
that?

There is one extension point to change the factory used to create the binutils objects, so that you can use different factories for different architectures. This was created, as far as I know, to be used with cross-compiling. It is possible to create a factory that runs this tools remotely using this extension point, but I don't think this is the way to go.

Has it ever come to discussion ?

No idea. But we can start one now. What about using remote proxy to enable remote binutils? We are working in remote capabilities for Linux Tools plugins for 1.1. And doing gprof/gcov remote would need remote binutils. Any concerns about that?

Back to the top