Re: [linuxtools-dev] Callgraph: Strange behaviour in Profile Configuration dialog

On 08/04/2011 11:44 AM, Roland Grunberg wrote:
Hi Otavio,

First of all, thank-you for your interest in this plugin :)

When I go to 'Profile as' ->  'Profile Configurations' I can see the
configuration eclipse created for me. But, if I change anything in this
configuration, click apply and close, and then run again the 'Profile
as' ->  'Function Callgraph', eclipse will not use the configuration I
changed. It will create a brand new configuration with default values.

Initially I think the intent was to have some basic configuration that
generates the various graphs, and that is always the default unless some
user indicates they would like to run a different type of configuration.

I am not used to run 'Profile as' stuff, but I found this behaviour odd
because it is different from the behaviour from 'Run as' feature. If I
change something in the 'Run Configurations' dialog and click the 'Run
as' option again it will reuse the configuration I just changed. It
makes more sense to me to follow the same idea.

I agree that the current functionality deviates from what might be
expected. However allowing various configurations to be run as
"Function Callgraph" might be a bit confusing, especially when
it's always possible to customize and run it through the profile
configuration menu.

Ok, I agree with you, but doing a behaviour different from other tools can be confusing too. I think we can at least find a way to warn the user that we are doing this.I have three proposals: - Warn the user using a pop up when we are creating a new configuration with default values. - Ask if the user wants to reuse the last configuration he changed you did or to run the callgraph with default parameters - Rename Profile as -> Function Callgraph to 'Profile as'->'Function Callgraph (Default Values)'
What do you think?

I'll file a bug against this, but at least for now I'd prefer to keep
the functionality as is.

Nice.

Cheers,

Back to the top