Re: [linuxtools-dev] OProfile + Linux Tools + CentOS

Hi,

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 10:59 +0200, Eric Schwarz wrote:
> Hi
>

> I have troubles starting OProfile (0.9.4 latest Version for CentOS) out
> of Eclipse on CentOS.
>
> I have tried using CentOS 5.4 + Eclipse Helios 2 SR2 in a virtual
> machine (put in timer interrupt mode like described in [1]).

Eclipse oprofile hasn't worked very well in a virtual machine and is not
tested very much. It may work, if the module is manually loaded with
timer=1 prior profiling from within Eclipse...

Did you verify that oprofile works as expected on the command line? If
yes, what sequence of commands did you execute to make it work?

> The error is the following when clicking on "Profile As > Profile with
> OProfile" in the Eclipse menu:
>
> "Exit code of opcontrol indicates failure"
>
> OProfile itself is working and I also executed
> "natives/linux/scripts/install.sh"

Does this mean that if you use opcontrol in a terminal profiling works
for you? If yes, what is the sequence of commands you are executing?

> I have also seen some irregularities concerning the unittests of Linux
> Tools 0.8.0 for OProfile support.
>
> https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/linuxtools-Indigo/346/testReport/

Last time I checked all unit tests passed for me locally. I think we
can't run oprofile tests in the hudson job since it requires root access
and proper installation of consolehelper/no-consolehelper (for the time
being). Perhaps I'm wrong :)

> I also tried on a real machine (CentOS 5.6 + Eclipse Indigo) and there I
> get also an error (I think it was the same on - I might deliver the
> message later since I am currently at an other place).

It should definitely work on a physical machine. Could you try
installing latest Linux Tools from updates-nightly[1] and try again. If
oprofile fails, it should give you some hints in the Eclipse error log.

> Well, shouldn't it work out of the box?

Kind of. If you installed Linux Tools from our update-site, you need to
set up consolehelper manually. After this step it should work.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Severin

[1] http://download.eclipse.org/technology/linuxtools/update/