Re: [linuxtools-dev] "TMF"

Daniel, Mathieu,

[1] About the TMF acronym

As Mathieu mentions correctly, TMF stands for "Tracing and Monitoring
Framework". It has been part of the Eclipse LTTng integration from the
start (2+ years now). In the context of Linux Tools, there is no
confusion about this TLA and we don't have plan to change it anytime
soon.

BTW, TMF is not and never has been part of TM, although we are
re-using a couple of components from that project for specific
purposes.

[2] About the TMF "confusion"

Following a question about parsing non-binary (text) traces with the
LTTng plugins, I pointed Chris to the custom text parser that TMF
happens to informally support. I can't speak for Chris but,
considering the ongoing e-mail exchange between him and my office
colleague about his issues, I don't think he was ever confused about
the meaning of TMF.

[3] About the proper usage of "LTTng"

Now for the philosophical question :-) Why do we refer to the "Eclipse
LTTng Integration" as "LTTng" in the scope of Linux Tools?

For the same reason the integration projects for GCov, GProf,
OProfile, Valgrind et al. don't call themselves "Eclipse XYZ
Integration". Eclipse *is* an integration platform and, in the case of
Linux Tools, many of the "tools" are really (great) front-ends for the
actual tools themselves. Ditto for LTTng.

I'm sorry if our usage of the term "LTTng" confuses the end-users and
generates undue traffic on the "real" LTTng mailing list. I wonder if
the Valgrind/OProfile maintainers have to endure a similar ordeal :-)

I hope this answers your questions/ concerns.

Best Regards,
/fc