Re: [linuxtools-dev] "TMF"

-----Message d'origine-----
> [1] About the TMF acronym
>
> As Mathieu mentions correctly, TMF stands for "Tracing and Monitoring
> Framework". It has been part of the Eclipse LTTng integration from the
> start (2+ years now). In the context of Linux Tools, there is no
> confusion about this TLA and we don't have plan to change it anytime
> soon.
>
> BTW, TMF is not and never has been part of TM, although we are
> re-using a couple of components from that project for specific
> purposes.
>
> [2] About the TMF "confusion"
>
> Following a question about parsing non-binary (text) traces with the
> LTTng plugins, I pointed Chris to the custom text parser that TMF
> happens to informally support. I can't speak for Chris but,
> considering the ongoing e-mail exchange between him and my office
> colleague about his issues, I don't think he was ever confused about
> the meaning of TMF.

I'll play Devil's advocate some more:

Eclipse left me unsure, though: "File: New: Other..." has a "TMF" entry with sub-entries "Custom Text Parser", "Custom XML Parser", and "TMF Project".  How is one supposed to tell if this from the Tracing and Monitoring Framework or the Textual Modeling Framework?  The link to the latter appears stronger (because of "Text" and the "Modeling" part of XML) at first glance.  The explanatory string displayed by the "File: New: Other...: TMF" dialog is of no help, as it is blank for the parsers and consists of the useless "Create a new TMF project" for the project.  If those strings were properly filled out, the ambiguity could be lifted.

Part of the problem is that the Tracing and Monitoring Framework's visibility on wiki.eclipse.org is, to say the least, minimal.  About the only entry is the "2.3 Tracing and Monitoring Framework" sub-section on the "Linux Tools Project/LTTng" page.  I wanted to change that title to "2.3 Tracing and Monitoring Framework (TMF)", but the wiki is locked, for some strange reason.  Why is there a "2.8 Web and Wiki" on "Linux Tools Project/Getting Involved" if the wiki isn't a wiki?  I would almost hazard that the pages are mislaid and should have been on dev.eclipse.org or some such non-wiki arborescence.

Daniel U. Thibault
R & D pour la défense Canada - Valcartier (RDDC Valcartier) / Defence R&D Canada - Valcartier (DRDC Valcartier)
Système de systèmes (SdS) / System of Systems (SoS)
Solutions informatiques et expérimentations (SIE) / Computing Solutions and Experimentations (CSE)
2459 Boul. Pie XI Nord
Québec, QC  G3J 1X5
CANADA
Vox : (418) 844-4000 x4245
Fax : (418) 844-4538
NAC: 918V QSDJ
Gouvernement du Canada / Government of Canada
<http://www.valcartier.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/>

Back to the top