Re: [linuxtools-dev] new Linux Tools plug-in idea

On 03/31/2011 09:10 AM, James Blackburn wrote:

> On 31 March 2011 16:41, Corey Ashford <cjashfor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:cjashfor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/31/2011 06:48 AM, Andrew Overholt wrote:
>     >> I've been tossing around the idea in my head about a nice little
>     plug-in
>     >> to add to the Linux tools suite is CDT C project creation wizard that
>     >> automates the steps shown here:
>     >>
>     >>
>     http://wiki.eclipse.org/HowTo_use_the_CDT_to_navigate_Linux_kernel_source
>     >
>     > Sounds neat.  You could even automate the git clone if you want.
>
>     One problem there is that you have to configure the kernel before the
>     CDT can index the source correctly; it needs to have access to the
>     include/generated/autoconf.h file, which is generated by "make
>     menuconfig" after having copied in the correct starting config file to
>     .config.
>

> Well you might need to write a little bit of java then :).  You can
> attach a runnable to your template which is invoked when Finish is
> pressed. We use this to automate checkouts from version control, setting
> up CDT project defaults, etc.  Running a configure from the wizard
> shouldn't be too much of a problem.

"make menuconfig" is an interactive process, so I'm not sure it would
fit too well.  It's worth keeping in mind, though.

I'd also like that the template to be able to work with existing source,
whether it was obtained from a git tree, a tar ball, a source RPM, etc.

Cloning the kernel could be its own separate step / template.  It would
give you a choice of kernels to download (from kernel.org), and then
give you the option of which arch, and which config to start with.

- Corey

Back to the top