Re: [linuxtools-dev] Proposing a single git repository for the project

On 22 Jan 2011, at 16:49, Matt Whitlock <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Keep in mind, though, that even if eclipse-build were a subdirectory in the same tree as the rest of Linux Tools, you could still view the log only for that directory by saying 'git log eclipse-build'.  It's faster to execute than it is to type.  ;-)

As a non-Linux tooler, I think this is an important point.

If I were you I'd be tempted to start with one repo. You can always split projects out later at no cost or effort. Importantly egit history view will correctly show commits filtered by the 'eclipse-build' project as you'd expect.

Cheers,
James

On Saturday, 22 January 2011, at 5:43 am, Niels Thykier wrote:
On 2011-01-22 02:33, Matt Whitlock wrote:
I am not a developer for Linux Tools, but I'll interject in this discussion briefly to mention that you don't necessarily need a separate repository for eclipse-build.  You can have more than one root commit in a git object database.  I don't know if that would really offer any advantages over having two separate repositories, though it might make it slightly nicer if you ever have reason to move/copy code between eclipse-build and the rest of the projects.

[...]

Personally I work on very few subprojects inside LinuxTools (currently
only eclipse-build); my main concern is whether I will be able to
quickly get up to date with changes in these subprojects without having
to filter unrelated commits out of the log (from other subprojects).
 So if these separate root commits would allow me to do that, then I
think I will not have any issues with having everything in a single
repository.

~Niels