Re: [linuxtools-dev] Eclipse Build 0.6.0?

On Tuesday, 10 August 2010, at 4:40 pm, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 10.08.2010, 16:33 -0400 schrieb Matt Whitlock:
> > 	1. Set buildArch in build.properties. (Merely specifying it on the command line to ant results in a build failure.)
>
> "ant -DbuildArch=<arch>" (replace the <arch> with your architecture)
> should work. Otherwise it's a bug in eclipse-build.

It looks like this was due to a former bug that has since been fixed.  I no longer need to set buildArch in build.properties.  Thanks.

> > 	13. Create the launcher script and the desktop menu entry.
>
> Doesn't "ant install" do the job for you?

Gentoo supports multiple "slots" of Eclipse (e.g., 3.4, 3.5, 3.6) installed simultaneously, so we have to do our own launcher and menu entry.

> > The modified build process described above is the culmination of at least 40 hours of my own work.
>
> Only 40 hours? It took much longer to get it working in Debian/Ubuntu.

I did say "at least."  It's hard to give a good estimate since my work on it has been spread across many versions of Eclipse now.

Gentoo might be easier than Debian/Ubuntu in a way, since everything in the system is built from source.  Thus, we don't suffer from "DLL hell."