Re: [linux-distros-dev] Native eclipse / gcj-compiled

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 11:58:29AM +0200, Thomas Koch wrote:
> There are sites on the net about a "native eclipse" project, e.g.
> eclipse
> compiled to machine-code. All the sites are from 2004/2005 and about a
> project done by Red Hat.
>
> Is somebody still working on this project? For the moment I consider
> Eclipse
> unusable on a 2GHz, 1.5 GB Debian machine as it is too slow. (Yes I'm
> using
> SUN-Java.)
>
> Wouldn't it become much faster if it would be compiled? Is there a
> How-to for
> compiling my own eclipse from source with gcj?

The native eclipse effort was made to get GCJ to comparable speed
compared to SUN JDK. Fedora, Ubuntu and Debian Eclipse support this out
of the box. On Debian and Ubuntu you should install the eclipse-gcj
package and make sure you use java-gcj-compat as runtime. I dont know
how this works on Fedora.

Cheers,
Michael
--