Re: [linux-distros-dev] Native eclipse / gcj-compiled

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-07-16 at 11:58 +0200, Thomas Koch wrote:
> There are sites on the net about a "native eclipse" project, e.g. eclipse
> compiled to machine-code. All the sites are from 2004/2005 and about a
> project done by Red Hat.

There was a project at one time that required modification to large
parts of the Eclipse SDK to get it to compile with gcj.  After that,
work was done on gcj to make it so that Eclipse -- and other projects --
required no modification to compile with gcj.  That is how it is done
today.

> Wouldn't it become much faster if it would be compiled? Is there a How-to for
> compiling my own eclipse from source with gcj?

As Michael says, if you're using Debian, just install eclipse-gcj.  On
Fedora, we roll the gcj bits into the packages so one would just have to
install eclipse-sdk, for example, to get the Eclipse SDK with both
bytecode and native code.

Andrew