RE: [linux-distros-dev] PHPeclipse 1.1.8 rpm

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 10:47 -0700, Philippe Ombredanne wrote:
> Ben you wrote:
> > I'm not sure that's a good idea because I didn't make the patches with
> > the intention of them working with non-linux systems. Specifically, I
> > just blindly removed the win32 help stuff and the XAMPP
> > stuff. IMO it's
> > not worth the effort to make these patches work with linux
> > and non-linux
> > systems.
> IMHO, it would be a little work and actually a good thing in several
> ways:
> - for phpeclipse, making sure the plugins are linux friendly
> - but more than that, for this project, come with a set of simple
> guidelines that can help plugin developers everywhere create consistenly
> linux friendly code.
> In the case of the win32help, it can be as simple as extracting win32
> related extensions in a fragment with platform filters that would only
> make it activate on win32.
>
> Would not that fir well here?

Normally I'm all for pushing patches upstream but in this case I get the
impression that phpeclipse is not under active development - the
developers were unresponsive when I asked for help in getting a 1.1.8
source release when public cvs at sourceforge was down, they haven't cut
a 3.2 release yet and the source seems to be unmaintained (a whole bunch
of code just commented out rather than removed).

But don't get me wrong here. I don't think PHPeclipse is all that bad, I
just have to justify that the time I spend working on something is
worthwhile. In this case I'm not sure is right now considering I'm *way*
behind on my Fedora obligations.

Cheers, Ben

Back to the top